Securing a Board Position - 5 Simple Steps
Finding a board appointment that suits your interests, skills and geography takes patience, determination and effort. Women on Boards is here to help. Our focus is to encourage, inspire and actively support women to find their own pathway to the boardroom. We provide the tools to help you master the non-executive director landscape and develop an effective strategy to secure your ideal board position. All you need to do is follow five simple steps.
1. Take time to explore our rich Resource Centre. The articles and other reference materials give you an understanding of the boardroom environment and the latest governance thinking. You may also enjoy our Case Studies, which show how other's have got into the boardroom.
2. Come along to a Getting Started: Realising your board potential workshop. These are designed as a source of information and inspiration for people considering their first board role and those seeking to add a new non executive or trustee role to their portfolio.
"The workshop was full of practical advice and tips, one of which was the power of making it known that you are interested in board positions. This, together with the confidence and insight I had gained from the course, meant that I have since been put in touch with contacts on two of the boards I am most interested in."
3. Read the article The top seven reasons why being a director is good for your career. If you need to convince your boss that they should allow you the time to extend your career into board roles, you will need to help them see the benefits.
4. Attend a Boardroom Insights evening for insights into the non-executive world and information about sectors you might want to target; as well as the chance to meet other aspiring and full-time non-executives and trustees. WOB is an action-oriented network and we encourage you to use it to your advantage and also to support other's along the way.
5. Take 10 minutes a week to look at the board vacancies. Every week we send an email summarising the roles currently listed on our website and this will begin to give you a flavour of the variety of positions available. If you are actively looking for a role, we recommend becoming a WOB subscriber to gain full access to the Vacancy Board and to receive substantial discounts on workshops and events along with one-on-one support at key points on your NED journey.