Professional development for the boardroom
All courses available as online virtual learning.
Women on Boards offers affordable half-day directorship courses in partnership with Governance Institute of Australia. Courses are available to WOB full members, global members, corporate members and champions at the discounted Governance Institute Australia subscriber rate of $565. This is a saving of $395 on the first short course (cost of subscribing to the Governance Insitute of Australia) and $30 for each subsequent short course taken during the year.
All courses have online access for 30 days from purchase.
- Effective Director Course (3 days) - online & face to face options available
- Governance Essentials
- Governance and Risk Management
- Assessing Analysing & Treating Risk
- Meeting Compliance Requirements
- Risk Management Frameworks
- Risk Management Essentials
Effective Director Course - VIRTUAL OR FACE TO FACE
Choose to join virtually or in person in our Sydney training rooms.
Exploring the role of the company director and the board’s vital contribution towards organisational culture and sustainable governance, this course draws on theory, practice, and the collective knowledge of the participants to simulate the boardroom experience.
- What issues and challenges are faced by a director on a board?
- How can you best prepare for and understand directorship in the current landscape, with the lens firmly on director capability?
Is this course right for you?
This course is for
- aspiring or newly appointed directors
- executives seeking director transition pathways
- directors wanting to refine their skills
- those needing to better understand the role and responsibilities of a director.
This half-day course provides a concise and practical overview of the essentials of good governance across all sectors.
By registering, you will:
- fast-track, deepen and refresh your understanding of governance essentials
- obtain the latest knowledge on governance to drive implementation of good practice
- learn about key governance initiatives in the Australian marketplace
- understand the role of regulators, industry bodies and government
- update your knowledge of key corporate governance roles and how to apply them within your organisation
- understand how corporate governance contributes to your organisation’s achievement of financial and strategic objectives.
This course fulfils part or all of the compulsory requirement for two Governance Institute Certificates which are the Certificate in Governance Practice, and Certificate in Governance for Not-for-Profits.
Governance and Risk Management
Explores how governance and risk management are essential to an organisation’s improved corporate performance. This course offers an overview of the role of the board in governance and risk management; it examines current issues and explores best practice in strategic risk management.
The key objectives are to:
- define governance and its corporate contexts and frameworks
- identify current issues in governance and risk management
- examine the role of the Board and where risk management sits in that role
- examine the traits and practices of a ˆrisk-aware’ director
Assessing Analysing and Treating Risk
Examine the importance of managing and mitigating the impact of risk within an organisation. This practical course will provide you with:
- the knowledge and tools to identify and analyse key risks that may affect your organisation
- practical guidance on implementing risk minimisation strategies
- tools to effectively manage risk across industry sectors
- key tips on embedding risk management within your organisation’s culture and structure
- specific knowledge of the effect of AS/NZS ISO 31000-2009 risk standard on your risk management framework.
This is an interactive course recommended for those who have risk responsibilities in their role (and are looking to consolidate or refresh their knowledge), or those wishing to move into the risk field.
Meeting Compliance Requirements
This half-day course focuses on the role of an effective compliance framework as an integral part of an organisation’s overall business strategy.
In this course, you will:
- explore a variety of compliance approaches that underpin an organisation’s legal framework
- consider essential regulatory requirements, compliance standards and guidelines
- gain practical information on compliance monitoring to uncover regulatory and/or legal breaches
- gain a practical understanding of how compliance fits into your organisation — especially alignment with key business objectives, and how compliance processes can reinforce and positively strengthen organisational culture.
Risk Management Frameworks
A half-day course delivering practical information on managing risk within your organisation’s regulatory and governance frameworks.
This course provides participants with:
- an overview of how to establish a risk management framework within an organisation
- an understanding of why a risk-aware culture is vital in achieving organisational objectives
- the knowledge and skills to assess the efficacy of risk management systems and processes within an organisation
- an appreciation of the benefits of adopting a holistic approach to implementing risk management on an enterprise-wide basis
- the confidence to manage organisational risks effectively and to plan for future risk.
Risk Management Essentials
A half-day course delivering practical information on the application of AS/NZS ISO 31000 and how to embed a risk-aware culture to enhance business opportunity and strategy.
This course provides participants with:
- an overview of how to establish an effective risk management framework within an organisation
- an understanding of why a risk-aware culture is vital in achieving organisational objectives and enhancing value
- the knowledge and skills to assess the effectiveness of risk management systems and processes within an organisation
- an appreciation of the benefits of an enterprise-wide approach to risk management
- insights into emerging areas or risk and the future of risk management as a discipline
CLICK here to listen to Claire Braund in conversation with Megan Motto, CEO of The Governance Institute, where they discuss the courses available plus Megan's journey, diversity and lots more (18 minute listen).