A TYPICAL BOARD JOURNEY
A typical journey for someone looking for their first board role, or their first paid NED position is:
- Coming along to a WOB Information evening or listening to the webinar version. These are designed to give you an idea of what Women on Boards does and how we can assist you – wherever you are in your boardroom journey. For those under 40 and considering future board and committee roles, join us at a Boards and Committees for the Younger Director event.
- Attend a Getting Started workshop; a fast-paced tour through the Why, What and How of directorship. This workshop will outline what it takes to be a director and strategies for including board work in your career and will enhance your confidence to seek out board positions. This workshop is also offered as a webinar, Directors at a Distance, for those that are time poor or remotely located.
- Once you have completed the Getting Started workshop or Directors at a Distance webinar we would highly recommend you attend our Board CV Masterclass. An intensive hands-on workshop that will focus on developing a high-quality draft Board CV, an essential item for current or aspiring directors that pitches you where you need to be not where you think you are.
- Explore the WOB Board Vacancy postings. We have numerous vacancies listed from across Australia, with around 25 new positions added every week.
- Using the Articles in our Resource Centre (Become Board Ready) completing your WOB profile and applying for a NED role etc. The WOB Subscriber Area has articles such as on how to write a board-ready CV and how to apply for a role. We have learned that most people don’t get around to doing their CV until they see a role that inspires them.
- Subscribed members can ask for a review of their WOB Profile which acts as a Board CV. The review is provided in the form of a 30 minute discussion (phone or Skype) and costs $110. Contact the office via email the office firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange your review.
- Making one or several applications. We have great articles in the Resource Centre on How to Apply for a NED or The Role of the Chair and on How to Prepare for a board interview. It is not uncommon to apply for 5 or 6 roles before successfully finding your “perfect fit”.
- When you get an interview, requesting 1-on-1 support with the preparation. This usually takes the form of a 15 minute phone call with someone in the WOB network with experience on a similar board. Part of the power of WOB is the size of our network, which is now over 25,000 active or aspirant directors across Australia. We have members sitting on every type of board, happy to help others follow in their footsteps.
Our support doesn’t stop when you get a role. Paid subscribers can ask for advice from WOB or the broader WOB community on thorny issues that arise in the boardroom.
Our On Board Success Stories are the testament to our impact, so get started today.
"After 20 years of executive experience, I’ve switched to a portfolio NED career specialising in asset management and private equity. Diligently, I have done the networking, the reading of every book I could find on Boards and on independent directors' responsibilities. It's a lot to take on. It's a new career. It was past 11 o'clock at night when Rowena first replied to my email which I had sent a couple of hours earlier. I wanted to find out about WOB pre-interview support. Rowena's email offered prompt, helpful and detailed advice. It felt as if someone was holding my hand, guiding me with care and skill. The next day I met Fiona at a WOB event. Her invaluable insight was straight to the point. It is exactly what I need: practical advice coupled with tailored assistance before each interview. WOB team's experience and contacts are outstanding. WOB also stay true to their word. Their genuine commitment to assist women achieve success on Boards is highly commendable. Thank you WOB!" Clara Durodié, 2015