3 GREAT REASONS TO CONSIDER A BOARD ROLE
1. It's never too soon to look for your first board
Boards should be an integral part of your career. A board role is a differentiator on your CV and will build your strategic capabilities and strengthen your performance in your day job. And being a non-executive director, trustee or school governor is interesting, challenging and enables you to have a real impact in areas that are important to you.
2. You are probably more qualified than you think
Rowena Ironside, Chair of WOB UK explains "It's very common for young professionals to assume they have nothing to offer a board yet. This is the catch-22 that any aspiring board member faces; you need to understand the issues facing the board to become a successful candidate. Everyone has day-to-day competencies that they take for granted, but some of these will be highly valued on the right board. Good examples include understanding charity law or accounting standards, or being on top of the latest trends in digital marketing."
3. Think of the network
Boards are inevitably composed of a cross section of people: younger people; older people; a variety of professionals; and members of the community that you would not normally encounter through your day job - particularly if you don't do the client facing meetings. So, take the opportunity a board offers to extend your strategic network and acquire sponsors along the way.
Did you know?
- We list around 25 new board positions on our website each week
- There are vacancies to suit every level of experience, including many that do not require prior board experience
- The WOB team search online and offline sources to identify vacancies, so that we can list a variety of roles from different sectors and increase the transparency of the board recruitment process
- Anyone can post a board role on our site. It's a free service. We encourage our members to do this and to tell us about board vacancies they come across.
Women on Boards is an action-oriented network that wants you to succeed, and we will work with you to support you on your journey to the boardroom. So, if you or your employer are not already WOB subscribers, consider a full membership today for $210 pa. As well as full access to our board vacancies, this will entitle you to 30% discounts on all our events and workshops as well as personal support with your board profile and interview preparation. Click here to become a WOB full member.
Still not sure if you're Board Ready? Take our Quiz Here