Do you want to climb your own career ladder, not one built by someone else?
Curate your career using a portfolio approach?
Craft your own plan on a page?
Then you need Personal Career Management!
Listen to the recording of our information session about the PCM program
download our PCM Info Session's slides
Develop your understanding around what counts in managing your career from a strategic perspective, how to exercise influence and why you need self-awareness and clarity around your career narrative. Support yourself to dig deep and align your passion and purpose with your career plan. Thrive at work and in life — regardless of what the future holds.
"Employees want to be seen, valued, and listened to. They want equity, dignity, security, balance, flexibility, and autonomy. They expect opportunities for growth, learning, meaningful contribution, and fulfillment." April Rinne, HBR August 2022 ' Stop Offering Career Ladders. Start Offering Career Portfolios.'
Offered as a hybrid program, two days face-to-face and three virtual sessions, Personal Career Management is highly interactive and features a suite of templates, tools and approaches that can be applied wherever you are on your career journey.
Suited to women at various stages of their career-life, regardless of their role or sector. For example (but not limited to):
- women who are looking to a future career ‘change in direction’, but are not quite sure of the ‘how’ or the ‘what’;
- women who feel they may have been passed over for advancement due to a perception they are 'not ready';
- women resuming their career role following a career break;
- women who feel stuck in management roles who need to overcome speed humps that have slowed their progress to more senior roles;
- women seeking to affirm or re-affirm they are doing all the right things to effectively manage and ‘future proof’ their careers; &
- women in a transition phase and moving to a portfolio career.
Take a look at our last PCM program in this short video
The PCM program contains eight modules run over five sessions. It offers:
- A minimum of 16 hours of face-to-face and virtual learning with our expert and qualified presenters (2024 program will be held in Sydney CBD)
- A one hour personal mentoring session
- Program drinks & dinner at a CBD venue
- Guest speakers and panellists.
- 24-hour access to additional resources, tools and templates via our online learning platform.
The learning outcomes are significant and include:
- Awareness of how to employ ‘critical career thinking’.
- Greater self-awareness and understanding of what motivates you in work and life
- Insight into how your self-perceptions can be limiting your progress
- Enhanced communication, influencing and negotiating skills.
- Improved presentation skills – in a variety of situations.
- Greater confidence in your capability and capacity
- A clearer understanding of the value you bring to an organisation.
- How to broaden yourself out of your profession to various industry sectors and leadership roles.
- How to actively engage with and benefit from mentors, coaches, sponsors and others who support you
- Strategies for negotiating performance reviews
- Ownership of your own career narrative via the ‘Plan on a Page' tool.
From a ‘breath of fresh air’ to a ‘lightbulb moment’ Women on Boards’ Personal Career Management program was a pivotal turning point for graduates from the 2022 program. Click Here to read their stories.
Full, Premium or Corporate
All fees quoted are inclusive of GST.
* Minimum group of three. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to organise a group discount.
Women on Boards is offering one scholarship place to the Personal Career Management program. The scholarship is open to one culturally diverse woman who needs a more strategic approach to their career.
- Cover email outlining why are you interested in the program, demonstrating financial need and confirming you can attend all 5 sessions of the program. (two days will be held face-to-face in Sydney CBD).
- Current CV
- Short video
Your short video (1-2 minutes) should include:
- An introduction and how you define yourself as culturally diverse.
- How you would seek to benefit from the program.
Who has developed the Personal Career Management (PCM) program?
The PCM program has been developed by Women on Boards and Sheena Wilson, a highly accomplished business leader, talent executive and accredited career coach. It has been further refined and informed by the expert presenters and from feedback from prior programs.
Tell me more about the PCM program.
The PCM program is exactly as it sounds - understanding how to take management and mastery over the processes and inputs in your career to impact the outcomes. It features a suite of templates, tools and approaches that are accessible from our online training hub and can be applied wherever you are on your career journey. Central to the PCM program is crafting your ‘plan on a page’ which takes time, thought and self-awareness. Once done, it becomes a personal tool to guide you throughout your career. The program also features a wonderful lineup of presenters who are committed to supporting you to build your plan on a page or with any issues that arise throughout the program.
Who is the PCM program suited to?
The PCM program and your ‘plan on a page’ will work for you whatever age or career stage you are at; whether you are younger and looking to develop a pathway through to management and leadership roles, whether you are stuck in middle management and you can't find a way out, or whether you are more senior and wondering how to transition to a portfolio career?
Is there any personal mentoring included?
PCM comes with a one-hour personal mentoring session, where you are connected with a member of the WOB mentor panel who can help you drill into where you are at now, and start to think about and achieve where you want to be.
Can I talk to someone?
We would love to speak to you if you have any questions about your suitability for the program. Call the WOB office on 02 4321 0100 or click here to send an email and our Executive Director, Claire Braund, will be in touch.
Non-Executive Director, WOB Pty Ltd
Executive Director, Women on Boards Australia
President & Building Committee Chair, Central Coast Conservatorium of Music
Non-Executive Director & Governance Committee Chair, Coast Shelter Emergency Accommodation Ltd
Claire is a former journalist who co-founded Women on Boards in Australia in 2006 and in the UK in 2012. Leads the Australian team and is a highly experienced presenter, MC and facilitator. Non-Executive Director roles on small businesses and large Not-For-Profit organisations and has significant expertise on board governance in many other sectors. Known as a woman of courage, conviction, compassion and confidence, Claire has been a long-term and effective advocate for gender balance in board and leadership roles. A Churchill Fellow for her research into gender balance on boards in Norway, France and the UK in 2011, travelling to all three countries and interviewing 63 business leaders, Chairs and Non-Executive Directors. Claire looks for new ideas and opportunities in everything she does and has a deep and abiding commitment to social justice, particularly in the area of housing affordability.
Deputy Chair, Herron Todd White
Executive Career Coach
Founding Director, Parents on Leave
Sheena is a highly accomplished business leader, talent executive and accredited career coach, with multi-disciplinary experience on a global scale. She is also a professional Non-Executive Director and Foundation Trustee, and Director and Co-Founder of Parents on Leave Pty Ltd. Sheena is Deputy Chair of a large professional services firm, and Chairs the Board’s People, Performance, Nominations and Governance Committee. She is a Mentor and Leadership Consultant for Women on Boards Australia; a member of the Nominations Committee for Basketball Australia; and coaches Board members and executives from multiple sectors in Australia and internationally. Sheena’s international business career included many years working overseas at The Bank of New York Mellon (BNY Mellon) where she was a member of the firm’s global Operating Committee. She was BNY Mellon’s Head of HR - International for five years; CEO of BNY Mellon India for three years; and Global Head of Talent Strategy for five years. She is an international award-winning expert in Inclusion & Diversity; and has worked on the ‘people aspects’ of many M&A deals globally. Sheena has lived and worked extensively in Australia, New Zealand, India, the USA and Europe in a range of sectors: Banking & Finance; Management Consulting; Engineering; Social Enterprises and Higher Education among others.
Director, Powerhouse Presentation
Senior Executive Coach
Speaker - Influence, Presence, Presentation
Mariette has taken her years of experience as a leading actor and teacher of actors and combined it with an astute business understanding to create programs that go to the core of presence, presentation skills and business performance. She draws her expertise from a national and international career as a leading Actor/Singer in major theatrical productions and as a teacher in some of Australia’s foremost acting institutions including NIDA, WAAPA, Uni of Western Sydney and The Actor’s Centre. Through her company Powerhouse Presentation, she runs a wide variety of one on one programs, and customised workshops for executives and corporations and is particularly valued for her understanding of how to use language, voice and body for maximum impact.
Independent Co-op Advisor, Common Equity Housing Limited (CEHL)
Board member, Kudos Services
Board member, Barnados Australia
Gillian is a change-maker who applies a unique mix of leadership and strategic capacity with deep operational experience to help people and organisations navigate change. Gillian’s career focus has been on transforming health and community services to be more person-centered and accountable. She has developed a keen interest in the benefits of the co-operative and mutual business model, appreciating its potential to lift the quality of human services. Prior to establishing a consulting business, Gillian was CEO of UnitingCare Ageing one of Australia’s largest health and aged care providers.
For enquiries about the program or for group bookings please contact Angela Bowen on 02 4321 0100 or click here to send Angela an email.