WOB Partnership with INSEAD
Women on Boards is proud to have partnered with leading graduate school, INSEAD, to offer its International Directors Programme. WOB receives a percentage of the fee paid by every subscriber and member who comes referred by us. Please call the office on 02 4321 0100 for further information .
About the programme
The International Directors Programme is INSEAD's flagship course in corporate governance and is a unique educational experience that aims to develop effective directors for the global business scene. Today's supervisory boards have to contend with a host of new pressures, challenges and risks in addition to evaluating the performance of the CEO and senior executives. They must therefore set the company's strategic direction, often across diverse product markets and geographies, and monitor the firm's risk profile.
Set within an international contect that is unique in direction eduation, this programme offers practical and tested frameworks and tools to sharpen judgement and decision-making skills. It also augments the oversight abilities of directors seeking to boost their existing competencies or to be better prepared for new board mandates. In three focused modules, participants will master strategies for the following fundamental areas: board effectiveness and dynamics; board decision-making and oversight: and director effectiveness and development.
- Understanding the broader context in which boards operate and the responsibilities that come with a board mandate
- Providing an overview of the knowledge and competences expected from directors in today’s environment
- Developing skills that contribute to the creation of an effective board culture and performance
- Honing the ability to challenge executives through positive exchanges focused on the key issues that underpin corporate performance
- Joining a unique network of board members from a variety of industries and geographies
- Upon successful participation in the three modules, obtain a credential in corporate governance by presenting a paper for the INSEAD Certificate in Corporate Governance
- Chairs and Non-Executive Directors of listed and private corporations
- CEOs, COOs, CFOs and other C-suite executives
- Family members and controlling shareholders of larger family boards
- Government and non-profit organisations and agencies
- Senior professionals from the institutional investment community
- Senior partners of professional firms who serve boards and interact with them frequently
Participants should have sufficient exposure to board matters and must demonstrate that they possess the credibility and competences required to assume board-level responsibilities.
The International Directors Programme consists of three modules which represent the knowledge base that trained directors are expected to master and which form the basis of effective board membership. Within each module, the programme will focus on three fundamental questions:
Module 1: Board Fundamentals: Responsability, Effectiveness, Decision Making, and Strategy
- What do directors need to know in order to set the direction of the company?
- What are the proper boundaries within which the company should operate?
- How best can directors exercise their responsibilities to get things done in the boardroom?
Module 2: Board Dynamics, Efficiency and the Role of Committees
- Fundamentals of director and board effectiveness
- Fiduciary duty and shareholder supremacy
- The main governance challenges
- Effective decision-making in the board room
- The strategy imperative
- Value creation at board level
Module 3: Developing Directors and their Boards
- CEO-Board dynamics and conflicts
- The Director as political actor & the question of power
- Fair Process Leadership - a model for the board
- CEO selection, oversight, evaluation, and succession
- CEO Remuneration
- Financial statements and red flags in reporting
- Boards and Organisations in Crisis
- Fraud as a consequence of poor governance
- The challenge and opportunity of board diversity
- Putting it all together through a board stimulation
- 360° evaluation of director strengths and development opportunities
- Group coaching techniques for director improvement
- Reflecting on roles and commitments
Certificate in Corporate Governance
INSEAD aims for its Certificate in Corporate Governance to become a global credential amongst board members operating internationally – one of the first of its kind offered by an academic institution. The certificate attests of a director’s commitment to continuously develop her or his effectiveness and excellence as a Director, by applying and building upon the skills and knowledge acquired through their successful attendance of the International Directors Programme and completion of the certification requirements:
- Demonstration of the necessary credibility to assume board roles
- Successful participation in the three programme modules
- Capability of application of the programme learning to actual board contexts - and insightful reflection on the programme topics (attested through a written report)
- Evidence of a spirit of continuous self-improvement in board service
- Oral defense of the report at the discretion of the Certification Committee
Successful completion of the certificate enables participants to become alumni of INSEAD, a network of more than 51,500 members worldwide, join the national alumni association and participate in its events, and become connected to an exclusive international network of senior peer directors (former participants of the IDP), who stay connected with each other, with INSEAD and its faculty for continuous exchange on research and practice.
Programme Dates & FEES
Singapore / Sydney / Singapore S$28,700 (excl.GST)**
Module 1: 1–4 April 2019
Module 2: 27–29 May 2019
Module 3: 17–19 September 2019
Singapore / Fontainebleau / Singapore S$28,700 (excl.GST)**
Module 1: 16–19 June 2019
Module 2: 24–26 September 2019
Module 3: 10–12 December 2019
Ludo Van der Heyden
The INSEAD Chaired Professor of Corporate Governance & Academic Director of the INSEAD Corporate Governance Initiative
Timothy J. Rowley
Visiting Professor at INSEAD
Professor of Strategy and Organisations,
Rotman School of Management, University of Toronto
Professor of Finance
The Rothschild Chaired Professor of Banking
Remember to contact WOB if you are interested in the IDP.