To support our leadership and board-related programs, Women on Boards offers a range of workshops to support your career development. Some of these are held in partnership with carefully selected external providers.
View our events calendar for the next workshop in your state.
Build A Powerful Business Network
A study on influencing at work conducted by UGM and WOB found that, even though people thought professional connections were important in getting ahead, fewer than half (46%) maintained a personal business network. One reason may be they feel disappointed after trying to frantically network at events, walking away with lots of business cards but little in the way of real connection! In contrast, during the highly interactive "Build a Powerful Business Network' Module you'll start designing and refining your own personal business network. Tools and tips will equip you to follow through after the workshop and put your plans into action.
- Understand some of the powerful principles of networks and networking and how you can benefit from them.
- Design your own Personal Business network around the support you seek.
- Recognise and understand the important range of roles that people fill in business networks and check that you aren't missing any.
- Decide how you will approach potential supporters and practice using the
“This was the best workshop I have been to for many years. The learning, the pace, the content, the tools were all well thought out and brought together beautifully by Margaret.” CHRO, Financial Services Business."
- Create a plan for your own powerful Personal Business Network during the module and put it into action immediately afterwards.
- Use an innovative and structured approach to building your network based on sound evidence from this exciting new field.
- Engage with others who have your focus and share in their experience, intentions and aspirations.
- Reinforce your learning and motivation after the module through innovative Learning Alerts that remind you of content and prompt action.
Download the information brochure here
Being able to understand the financial accounts of an organisation is an essential skill for board members. You don't need to be a numbers expert or to be deeply familiar with accounting standards and terminology but you do need to have a basic understanding of key elements of a Balance Sheet and Profit & Loss / Income & Expenditure Statement, along with the confidence to ask questions on areas which are not clear or give you cause for concern.
If you want to truly understand the business you oversee, you need to speak the language of financial statements. What gets measured gets done, and what gets noticed gets actioned.
This workshop will provide you with the tools to understand and speak the language of financial and commercial concepts:
Well worth it! I thoroughly enjoyed the financial literacy workshop. Mike and Anne-Maree did a great job compressing key concepts into an easy-to-digest format. Ignited my interest! Will definitely recommend WOB and your professional development opportunities to my network. Thanks again.
- Provide a framework for commercial and financial analysis
- Enhance your ability to understand financial information
- Identify commercial and financial “red flags”
- Build the bridge between the Board and operational aspects of your business
I wanted to let you know that this course was excellent. Mike Hill and Janine Thompson were second to none in their delivery. They provided a lot of information and I especially enjoyed the “war stories” as these were very insightful.
Leading Change, designed by UGM Consulting to support executives with change leadership responsibilities by the way of frameworks and a robust set of change tools.
A highly practical and evidence-based workshop that enhances change leadersip and change management capabilities.
Leading Change Focus:
- Reflect on the common experience of change in organisations. Highlight the most frequent types of response to change and consider the implications for change leadership.
- Consider common change challenges that face organisations and how change might be framed as an opportunity for innovation and continuous learning.
- Use a powerful model to understand and develop customised strategic change communication for different parties during major change.
- Monitor and evaluate change initiatives using two robust tools that highlight areas of importance and focus thinking and action.
“A must for any senior manager”. General Manager, Retail Sector
“Thought provoking, practical and able to be implemented immediately. The tools provided are invaluable”. Senior Associate
Download information brochure here
Leading Strategically was developed by UGM Consulting to support executives in demystifying strategy via examples and application by providing a range of useful strategic frameworks and tools that participants can apply immediately in their business.
A proven, highly practical and evidence-based workshop that enhances strategic thinking and strategic planning capability.
Leading Strategically Focus:
“Engaging and practical, with many applications in work and outside of work”. Director
- Understanding what strategy is and how to use practical tools to achieve high quality strategic outcomes. Be able to distinguish between a strategic and an operational approach.
- Examine five key elements of strategic contexts and six essential skills of strategic leaders. Consider how these can strengthen and direct your own strategic approach.
- Use a range of practical tools and frameworks to complete a series of strategically-oriented exercises with colleagues.
- Explore a range of strategy planning tools that will guide future strategic planning efforts and also serve you well in executive or board level interviews.
“Structured, streamlined, reinforcing good practices, hands on, instructive”. Infrastructure Manager
Download information brochure here
On Track for Success: Career Management Matters
On Track for Success operates on the basis to help women succeed with their career journey. It encourages critical thinking and thoughtful reflection about your past, including your roles, responsibilities, acquired skills, accomplishments, lessons learned, and the understanding of how you have evolved. It enables participants to fully articulate their goals for the future and leverage accumulated talents. It is practical, prudent, highly interactive, with the case studies and examples selected to suit the background and situation of those attending.
- Women at earlier career stages, those who are 'stuck' and appear unable to move beyond a certain level
- Women seeking to develop their career resilience ‐ for example around career breaks
- Women who want to leverage their experience into adding value to the broader community via a board or committee
Click below to hear Sheena speak about her tips for career success
"I really enjoyed the workshop and it challenged me to think outside the box!"
“Being in the company of effective and inspiring enablers reminded me that the best way to achieve confidence is through competence.” - May Taing (Systems Engineer – Aerospace)
“I enjoyed attending “On track for success” workshop. I personally found the session to be very beneficial. It gave me many great ideas and tools to assist me in my career.” – Laura Venditti-Taylor (Senior Financial Accountant – Corporate)